Equal Access to Sports for Transgender Young People
One of President Biden’s Day One executive orders was titled “Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation.” Among the many things this order does is to guarantee equal access to young people to participate in the sport or team of their gender identity, and prevents them being denied access to locker rooms, restrooms and school sports. For people who want to play, participating in sports is a benefit to self-esteem and self-confidence. For transgender young people, the type of benefit that comes from being welcomed to play sports in a way that affirms their gender is especially important.
Sign our petition to thank President Biden for this executive order. After you sign, we’ll direct you how to submit your comment directly to the White House, and we’ll also list nonprofit action alerts that allow you to thank President Biden for this executive order. (Know of one? Email us the link - email@example.com.)
- PowerPlays by Lindsay Gibbs: “There is no ‘middle ground’ on trans inclusion in youth sports”
- Shoshana K. Goldberg, Center for American Progress: “Fair Play: the The Importance of Sports Participation for Transgender Youth”
- Joy Bunson, board co-chair of Athlete Ally: “In Pursuit of Fairness and Feminism”
Nonprofits Leading in Transgender Inclusion for Sports
Sign up for email with these organizations to get involved.
- Athlete Ally
- Center for American Progress
- Human Rights Campaign
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- Women’s Sports Foundation